Friday, August 21, 2009

Thing 11

I enjoy commenting on other's blogs, but after reading the articles, I think I need to rethink the way I comment. Ok, now that that is as clear as mud, let me explain. One of the ways I can post better comments will be for me to read the blog more than once or twice. I want to make sure I am totally clear about what is posted and then I can be a better commenter(is that a word?). I also need to be careful because I have a strange sense of humor and what I think is funny, does not come across in my writings. We have talked a lot about responsibility in this course and commenting on other people's blogs is a big responsibility. Not only do we need to be careful of what we post, but we need to remember that we are posting to the world and what we might say to someone we know can be taken incorrectly.

On the other hand, blogging offers all of us the opportunity to get feedback from our "yet unknown" peers and to make connections with others around the world. Blogging and commenting can eliminate the isolation we can feel in our profession and can open up adventures for both ourselves and our students.

As we speak about students and commenting on blogs, this is a an additional opportunity to teach communication skills and ethics in the cyber world. I think that many people(I've seen this on Facebook)think that they have the right to say or do whatever they want online because no one can "find" them. Language and vocabulary can be taken offensively and even though there may not be an "assessment", there could be repercussions. As we increasingly join the collaborative network, we have to make sure that we come in with a clean slate and our public comments have improved the space, not contaminated it.

No comments:

Post a Comment